©2021 Heiner Sträßer
Havana, Plaza de la Catedral
The religious centre of Havana is certainly the large square in front of the 18th century cathedral Catedral de la Virgen Maria de la Concepción Inmaculada de La Habana. Until 1898, it housed the remains of Christopher Columbus. When Spanish colonial rule ended, they were taken to Seville. Today, the square is part of the heart of the old town of Habana Vieja, which has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1982.