©2021 Heiner Sträßer
Campo San Giacomo di Rialto, Venice
Normally the souvenir shops at the Ruga degli Orefici are surrounded by tourists. But today is a cold and rainy winterday. The church San Giacomo di Rialto is in the south east corner of the square. Its origin dates back to 5th century, to the first church in Venice. On the face side it carries a big watch from 1410. Opposite on the other side of the square one can see a small column and next to it a podium with the sculpture of a kneeling man, Gobbo di Rialto. In the 16th century this was the place to announce new laws. The Gobbo di Rialto also became the desired destination for criminals. They had to run naked from St.Marks Square to the Gobbo di Rialto and kiss the statue to get released from their dishonour.