» Meryem Ana Kilise in Nevşehir/Neapolis, Muskara «
After the Turkish-Greek people exchange in 1923, this church was first used to store goods. In 1950 it had been changed into a prison. In the middle of the church they have built a second floor and several walls created the cells for the prisoners. Since 1983 its empty. In 2012/13 someone has dug holes in the ground next to the columns at the western side. This endangers the stability of the whole building. 2014 two of four iron bars (tension rods), which stabilized the walls against the weight from the roof, had been cut off. Now the church is in danger to collapse. Since 2015 the complete building is closed.
Back to Cappadocia with all villages.
East front of the church and view at the subjacent valley. The ruin of the brocken bell tower is visible under the left corner of the roof ridge.
South-east corner and south side; the flat building on the right side housed barber and tailor in the time of usage as prison.
Western front with the main entrance to the church; someone has dug holes into the ground next to the columns and endangered the stability. The space between the columns in the north-west was closed to get one more room.
Under the white wall paint of the left cell, it still has some of the original wall decoration and a dedication from 27th of Feb. 1900
Upper floor with prison cells and a room for prayers. The left panorama shows the tension rods which had been cut off in 2014.