©2020 Heiner Sträßer
Faenza, Piazza della Liberta
Faenza is a small town with nearly 60000 inhabitants in the Emilia Romana, aouth-east of Bologna. In the Renaissance the city became very famous for its elaborate pottery, which had been exported to many European countries. Just north of the "Piazza del Popolo" is the "Piazza della Liberta". It is dominated by the unfinished brick facade of the cathedral, which was built from 1474 to 1520 above a previous building. The "Torre Civica", the clock tower, also stands here. Destroyed by German troops in December 1944, it was rebuilt shortly after the war.